Thursday, March 8, 2007

Anointing of the sick

Anointing of the sick

One of the best things that came out of the Second Vatican Council has been a renewed appreciation of the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick. It languished for many years in the desert known as “Last Rites.” A misunderstanding consigned the Sacrament to those who were breathing their last. I remember being very distressed as a young priest when I would visit a sick person to bring them the Sacraments and to comfort them; they looked at me in terror, seeing me as the angel of death, coming with Last Rites.

Now we are in a different age. The sacrament is for the sick, in a very broad sense. Who can receive it? Well, in the first place, I can. I have no specific illness, certainly no life threatening illness of which I am aware. I simply suffer from the effects of more than seven decades of my pilgrimage through life. The aches and pains that go along with that journey certainly qualify me, and anyone over sixty five, to receive the sacrament. Those preparing for an operation are eligible. Those who are seriously ill for one reason or another should also receive the Sacrament.

There is another type of illness, serious and often overlooked. Persons with mental or emotional problems, anxiety, depression, and various psychological illnesses are all eligible to receive this sacrament. There are people who struggle with addictions, alcohol, nicotine, drugs; they too should receive this sacrament.

Very young children who would neither appreciate nor understand the sacrament should not receive it, nor should those with some simple, temporary illnesses, like a cough or a cold.

No comments: