Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Latin Mass

Latin Mass
I was ordained in 1959. My first Mass was in Latin, with my back to the people. My whole experience of Mass up to that point, and beyond, was in Latin. Hence I know what the traditional rite was like.
I am amazed how people have such romatic notions about Mass in Latin. Has everyone forgotten the famous "ten minute Masses" that some priests were noted for? They could easily say Mass in ten minutes or less by simply omitting large portions, or slurring rapidly over the text. Since no one could understand him anyway, no one noticed. Most people were busy saying the rasary or novenas.
I remember saying Mass in Latin at 5:00 or 6:00am, half asleep. It was far from a spiritual experience. The Latin liturgy in the great cathedrals, or on special occasions was splendid; or ordinary days it was a drudge, of the worst sort. I for one do not want to go back to the "good old days" that never really were that good.
I can say Mass in Latin; I can also say Mass in Spainish. For a reason I would. To satisfy someone's misplaced nostalgia is not a good enough reason for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monsignor, I am a convert from Lutheranism. It was only after watching and experiencing the Latin and the old rite mass that I felt absolutely cheated by the awful way things are today in many novus ordo churches. I'm sure that some priests then were like some today--burned out and just going through the motions. They forgot what and why they became a priest. The church of today is in trouble--a liturgical crisis, it has been called by some. Often during mass I feel as though I am back in a Lutheran church of the 60s or 70s. I just want to feel and know that am truly in a Catholic church again--full of all the majesty and trappings.

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your perspective. I admit that I have only known the liturgical reforms from Vatican II, so I appreciate that you can offer a helpful context. It is my understanding that these Vatican II reforms actually went back to an older liturgy and in a sense can be understood as more traditional!

I am a Secular Franciscan in formation and one of my fraternity members is a deacon who in semiary encountered a Greek Orthodox priest. This Orthodox priest said that his cheif complaint among his group is that liturgy had become a spectacle, merely theatre. I fear that those caught up in the Latin Mass simply want theatre, too.

Matthew said...

I find the Latin Mass so mystical and holy. I am a seminarian. As a priest, I want to only offer the Tridentine Mass if possible.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.